15 January 2008

Top 11 Kick-Ass Girls (Part 2 of 2... maybe 3)

Previously on the Top 11 Kick-Ass Girls (Part 1 of 2):

- Number 11: Regina George (Mean Girls)
- Number 10: Niki/Jessica (Heroes)
- Number 9: Irina Derevko (ALIAS)
- Number 8: The LOST girls - Kate and Ana-Lucia (LOST)


Let's proceed then...

Number 7: Sydney Prescott (Scream Trilogy)


Oh Sydney, Sydney... Life wasn't kind to you, now was it? Your mum was killed and raped, most of your closest friends were brutally murdered (and dare I say because of you...) and your boyfriends? Well, one was a lunatic killer who gets killed (by you nonetheless) and the other, well the other also gets killed (at least not by you... but because of you, ouch!). Sydney starts out kind of weepy and emo ("why are all my friends dying, wahhhhh..."), but then she gets into full-on tough chick mode.

Her special abilities include turning normal everyday objects into deadly weapons, running up and down the stairs and she also has excellent telephone manners! Relax Syd, you may have had it rough, but you've rightfully earned the number 7 spot on this countdown! You see, every cloud has a silver lining ;)


Number 6: X-Men villains - Phoenix, Deathstryke, Mystique (X-MEN Trilogy):

I know, there's three of them here. But it kinda makes sense to group them all in one position. And it's my Top 11, so I'll do what I want :) I should also mention that these are the movie version of these characters, not the comic book one (otherwise 'mah girl' Rogue would be on this list). Besides being really strong and powerful women, they also fall in the category of being a great examples of X-Universe villains. Yes, they will probably kill, lie, steal and deceive, but you can't help to sympathize with their motives and almost understand why they are doing it. Phoenix was a tormented soul, Deathstryke was being manipulated and Mystique, well, ok maybe Mystique was just evil... Most importantly, and for the purposes of this Top 11, they all kicked some serious ass!!

Favourite line: Jean Grey: [turning into Dark Phoenix] GET OUT OF MY HEAD! (Kaboom!!)

Favourite line: Deathstryke: What are you doing here? - (It's the only line of dialogue the poor woman has in the film....)

Favourite line: Nightcrawler: Excuse me? They say you can imitate anybody, even their voice. Then why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else.
Mystique: Because we shouldn't have to.


Number 5 - Sarah Connor (Terminator 1 and 2)


Sarah Connor was always one of my choices for this countdown, but it was really difficult to place her. So, I guess number 5 is just about right. She may not have the immediate appeal of a Niki or a Buffy, but for sheer determination, she's up there with the best. And she's an icon, a reference for all the strong female characters in TV and movies that followed. Sarah evolves from the innocent, young waitress of the first film to the hardened, cynical woman warrior of the second. Determined, adaptable, and mostly capable, she will stop at nothing to protect her son John from the Terminator. Who here doesn't remember that bit on T2 where she's facing the T-1000, shooting and reloading that shotgun with just one arm? Or her escape from the mental facility? Classic!

Favourite line: Sarah Connor: The unknown future rolls toward us. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too.


Number 4 - Veronica Mars (Veronica Mars)

Veronica Mars is no superhero. But what Veronica lacks in physical strength, she more than makes up for it with her intelligence and determination. Veronica is cunning, resourceful, witty and quite cynical, charming and convincing. Veronica isn't perfect, she makes mistakes, she feels pain, betrayal, and even jealously. She doesn't let things go easily, and when her best friend was brutally murdered, she wouldn't stop at anything to find the real killer.

If I wasn't so behind on Veronica Mars (the show) and seen more of Veronica (and I don't mean her naked) maybe she would be higher up on this list. Oh and a small confession, whenever I go through a situation when I need to be more confident, like confronting someone or or an embarrassing moment, I say to myself "Veronica Mars, Veronica Mars"... Silly, but it helps!

On a side note, I already know that Kirsten Bell (Veronica ) is now on Heroes and that she has some kind of lightning power (thanks Gabi for the 'heads up'... Grrr), but that's all I know, so please no more spoilers!!

Favourite Line: Oh so many brilliant lines to choose from... Seriously, this show has some of the sharpest, wittiest writing ever, maybe second only to Buffy. So, I'm gonna make an exception and give Veronica the privilege of having 4 favourite quotes:

Logan: [standing in front of Veronica's car] Do you have any idea what your little joke cost me?
Veronica: Well, I'm pretty sure you won't be getting your bong back.
Logan: [smashes Veronica's headlights with a crowbar] Wrong answer. Would you care to guess again?
Veronica: Clearly your sense of humor...

[Veronica is trying to change a flat tire] Troy: Flat?
Veronica: Just as God made me.

Logan: There's a witness who said they saw my mom get in a white van.
Veronica: There's also a jungle tribe that worships Donald Trump's hair. It's a tabloid.

Veronica: If I ever die, do me a favor. Go on Oprah and tell the world that I loved kittens.


______________________________

And that's a wrap for today. Who will be the top 3? Any surprises left? Will your favourites make the cut? This and much more tomorrow, only on this blog!

6 comments:

ANDRE said...

Please God, let Tyra Banks be in the top3!

Oh, and the Veronica Mars on Heroes is the best new character of Season 2. Too bad she has to die after a couple of episodes. Whoops :P

Antonio said...

Tyra Banks on my top3? HOW DARE YOU?! :D
And about Veronica on heroes, if thats true (not sure if i believe you...) then I'll boycott heroes! Oh yes I will!

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha

I only told you that she had a lightning power! and why putting Veronica Mars on your top 11? If it was Elle I would understand... :p
kiss kiss

Antonio said...

@gabi: is Elle the name of her character in Heroes? lol, another piece of information... I dont even need to watch the show, you guys tell me everything! awww, thanks a lot...not!
And a comment in english? Shame on you! :D

Bornsleepy said...

Off topic ::
is it just me or this part 2 of 2 of top10 Kick Ass Grrlz is going to end only in part 3?

On topic ::
Nikki trailing in behind in the #10 spot?!?!
We already know whos nailing the spotlight, but im curious to see who goes second and third on this list.
Is Rogue gonna make it, the comic version not the superfluous teen movie version of her

Antonio said...

@bornsleepy: I did say 'part2 of 2 maybe 3' on the title :)
And Niki? I've been told she returns back to form at the end of season1, but unfortunately for her, I havent gotten there yet. And Rogue? Sorry, only movies and tv, no comics.
And about the top spot, you think you know, but you have no idea... (or maybe you do, lol!)