30 January 2008

High Five, Low Five

I noticed I haven't been complaining or complementing enough in my blog as of late - a strange twist of fate since I seem to have a love/hate relationship with everything. With that in mind, I sat down to compile a list of five things that impressed me last week and five things that, well, depressed me. Since writing about 10 topics in a day is a little too much, I figured I'd start off by giving you the five positives first. I'll call this list High Five, Low Five.

Cafe Pasta - London
This italian restaurant has some of the best pizzas I've ever eaten. It's in the Seven Dials area, in London, quite small, but very inviting. Been there a few times already, but this past Sunday went there for lunch with my old-enemy-turned friend Tatiana, and guess what was playing there? Rare and old dance mixes of Mariah! Great food, great company and great music?? Doesn't get much better than that. Oh, and it's just opposite of one the coolest shops ever (more on that below).

Super Mario Galaxy
Simply put, this is one of the best games I have ever played, and one that never ceases to amaze me. There seems to a be surprise at every corner, even when you think you've seen it all. Just a few days ago I found this new power-up and it was one of those 'wow' moments. Makes feel like a child again. Looks just lovely on my LCD (and with the component cables) with its vibrating colors and to top it all the soundtrack is amazing! And how not to love a game that says "U R MR GAY" on the front cover? In my case, it definitely knows its audience, ehehe!

Forbidden Planet -London
I discovered this shop back in my first days in London. I was actually on my way to the British Museum, when I saw this huge Darth Vader statue on the window. And then by it's side a statue of Sauron! After recovering from the shock of seeing they cost £1000+ (that was at least 3 of my salaries at the time) I decided to go in and found a world of wonder! X-Men statues, ALIAS figurines (poor Sydney, never looked so ugly...), Lord of the rings, Transformers, He-man, LOST magazines... it was heaven! Of course I could not buy much, but I couldn't resist the urge of buying an Alias book. Since then, I recommended it to Bornsleepy when he was in London and this weekend I went there again with another fellow nerd (who also loved it). And history repeated itself: I bought another pointless ALIAS book... The difference was this time I could actually afford it. I've come a long way...

Blogging
I remember when I came to the UK that I would send those almost daily emails to my friends in Porto about my adventures here: drunk housemate, pretending my grandmother was sick at work so that I could to Queima das Fitas and get absolutely drunk (i still think i deserved an Oscar for that one), etc... Some suggested I should create a blog, but it was just one of those things i hated, the concept of a blog (without even having any reasons for it). But after I started reading a few blogs recently I finally decided to take the plunge! An so far I couldn't be happier :) Had fun doing my Top 11 (with Sydney on top, yay!), shared a few of my silly thoughts ('I couldn't help but wonder...') and even came out to the world (that one was tough!!). A huge thanks to those who've been visiting S-U since day one, showing support and leaving all those comments. This blog wouldn't be the same without you...

30 Rock
In my opinion there hasn't been a truly funny comedy show in a while (live-action, not cartoon like Family Guy or American dad). Sure, I'm still watching my Golden Girls DVDs, but I needed something a bit less, well, old... That's one I decided to start watching 30 Rock, and it's one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. The show's title comes from a nickname for 30 Rockefeller Plaza, home of NBC's in NY headquarters and studios. 30 Rock is a workplace comedy set in that building and it follows the cast and crew of a fictional SNL-esque sketch comedy show. Most of the episodes are written by Tina Fey (which also wrote and starred in Mean Girls) and she's also one of the main actresses, along with Alec Baldwin and Jane Krakowski (Elaine in Ally McBeal). This is just my kind of humour, sarcastic and clever. Highly recommended!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

cool blog. 30 rock is also one of my favorite shows.

ANDRE said...

I so have to start watching that show, I loved Mean Girls' script!

Antonio said...

@Miles: thanks :)

@andre: you're gonna love it then :) I've only watched season2, as the eps were easier to find. but so far its great.