18 March 2008

The 7s, the 8s and The Nines

It's been a while since I haven't been disappointed by a movie. The last "offender" was Beowulf, which I'd heard and read great things about, but didn't do anything for me. And there's still something about human faces realistically done in CGI that creeps the hell out of me! So yeah, slightly entertaining but ultimately a disappointment.

What is really great is when you set out to watch a movie that you know nothing about and then it surprises you and grabs you from the opening till the end credits. This time was "The Nines", starring the ever-so-hot-has-to-include-shirtless-scene-everytime Ryan Reynolds, Melissa McCarthy ('Gilmore Girls') and a Hope Davis (don't know her from anywhere, but she was good).

As I already mentioned, I knew nothing about this movie, except for an image from it I'd seen a while ago and that for some reason really caught my attention (no, it wasn't Ryan shirtless!), as in "I gotta watch this". This was the image:


See, nothing particulary eye-catching, but it really spiked my interest, it just looked so tense! Without giving too much away, The Nines is a trilogy of back-to-back stories with unexpected links. Those links are what makes the underlying story, but I'll leave that for you to find out.

The three main actors play different characters, which might not be so different after all... For example, in the first chapter the Ryan plays a likeable TV soap star who has a nervous breakdown. He sets fire to his home, swallows a cocktail of bourbon and drugs, and ends up under house arrest to avoid prison. Then on the second chapter he plays a gay-TV writer, who dumps his best friend and main star Melissa (yes, she's playing herself the real life actress Melissa) to further his career. And it's all related. Confusing? Yes, and intentionally so. But it's never boring.

3-in-1

This movie kind of reminded me of Mulholland Drive and Donnie Darko. OK, let's not get carried away here. Although The Nines is without a doubt a very satisfying movie in a twisted kind of way, it's not quite on the same level as those. But if you liked those two movies, it is definitely worth a watch. Hey, if it's recommended by me...

Allow me to spoil you one of the surprises of this movie: Ryan Reynolds can actually act :)

6 comments:

Bornsleepy said...

so is this really a watch this movie?!?

I must confess that your ntro paragraph didn't did quite hook me but i guess i'll give a go!

a bit offtopic: did you already watched No country for old men?

Antonio said...

yeah, I guess it is. Its not the best thing ever, but def worth watching, esp if you liked those other 2 movies i mentioned.
@ the OT, no I haven't. Is it good?

Bornsleepy said...

#1 - I liked alot of it! Just keep in mind the title of film while watching and avoid getting be let down by its unique ending. I'll say no more

#2 - I've watched the other two movies and they're pretty damn good movies. You have to lend me the DVD of this one

Antonio said...

I deleted the "DVD"... :S

Anonymous said...

The overlapping storyline of the Nines resolves itself nicely at the end... and although Reynolds is a versatile, it was Melissa McCarthy who did a particularly great job of adding color to the whole thing.

Antonio said...

@patrick: yeah, I agree that Melissa McCarthy did a wonderful job (as did the othe 2 main actors)so I was really to see that most reviewers didn't seem to agree with us.