5 March 2008

A 1,000 times

I love puzzles and riddles and I hate puzzles and riddles. Let me explain: I love trying to solve the puzzles but the ones I get stuck on really make me furious and makes me wanna break things and I can't stop thinking about them until I manage to solve them. Even though I was aware of the risks I started playing this Nintendo DS game called "Professor Layton and The Curious Village" ( Note: Mr. Nintendo could you pleeeaese name the sequel Professor Layton and The Bi-Curious Village? kthanxbai).

Professor Layton (which I keep calling Clayton, don't know why as the only Clayton I "know" was Blanche's gay brother on The Golden Girls - such a great show that was, and to include a middle-aged non-stereotypical gay in a sitcom during the late 80s was really ahead of its time, but I digress) is a top-hat-wearing fellow who loves puzzle-solving. He has heard word about a mysterious village containing a special puzzle revolving around an object called The Golden Apple. Travelling with his young companion, Luke, he enters the curious village to discover a town populated by people obsessed with puzzles, and a lot of peculiar secrets.




You have this morbid and sweet story, involving murders, kidnappings, evil characters, mysterious towers and hidden treasures, as a framework for a collection of superb brainteasers and puzzles. I'm really addicted to this game (although sometime it makes me wanna smash my DS) and after showing it around in the office today, I thought "Why don't I share one of this puzzles on my blog?". So here it is! This puzzle is everything a puzzle should be: clever yet slightly frustrating, with a seemingly impossible answer that when you finally get it is just seems so obvious:

"The following is written on a piece of paper you picked up:


"_ is 1,000 times _ _"

To turn this strange message into a proper sentence, all you need to do is fill in the three "_ " with a single letter of the alphabet. But what could the letter be? You'll need to use the same letter for all three _s."

Any thoughts?? Feel free to send your answers/questions using the comments. I'll reveal the answer to this riddle in a couple of days. And remember what Professor Layton always says (with a posh british accent): Critical thinking is the key to success. (Of course one could also say "Google is the key to success" but where's the fun in that?)



9 comments:

Bornsleepy said...

clueless...
could you try all the letters in the alphabet till you get it right?

Antonio said...

Prof. Layton always says "Every puzzle has an answer" and this is no exception. Here's a clue: It's not "a"... ;)

Anonymous said...

Shame on me... tive de googlar!!!
Tá mt fixe. Mais!!!! Prometo q desta vez não vou ver...

sara said...

ahahaha! I think I know!!!! it's the "M" letter!!!! am I right??
=)

Antonio said...

@Ligia: How could you? What would prof. Layton say? lol! but its clever isn't it? btw, sara got it right, but I'll only publish her comment when I reveal the answer ;)

Anonymous said...

The answer is M.

Because only M makes sense by making it this..

M is 1000 times mm.

Which is Metre is 1000 times millimetres.

Antonio said...

@anonymous: Well done :) but I already posted the solution here:

http://slightly-unscrewed.blogspot.com/2008/03/every-puzzle-has-answer.html

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.