5 February 2008

Top 11: Tearjerker Moments (Part 1 of x)

It's time for another Top 11! I'll be counting down my Top 11 Tearjerker Moments, on films and TV. I had many ideas on what my next Top 11 would be, but ultimately decided to pick this topic as it's something that we usually talk about with my friends and ultimately make fun of each other for crying at a certain movie or even cartoon. You'll probably notice a trend in my choices: it's usually animals, strong people with big problems but still being (or pretending) to be strong and goodbyes. So, let's start with the runners-up:

The 'Yes I cried but not enough to make it to the Top 11':




- Thelma & Louise: When Thelma and Louise decide to just go for it.

- Lost: When Locke learns of his father betrayal, after donating him one of his kidneys. The score they used for that scene is one of the saddest song I've ever heard...

- Finding Neverland: Kate Winslet is dying and her kids decide to perform a play for her. It was really sad, but maybe the fact that I'd just had a huge fight with my cat and was feeling guilty made it even sadder :(

- Happy Feet: This starts out as very fun and cheerful movie, but then towards the end it gets surprinsingly serious and very sad...

Here we go!

Number 11 - Nils Holgersson: Hello??

You're thinking 'Nils what??' Well, Nils Holgersson was a cartoon that I used to watch many, many moons ago, I guess I was around 7 or 8. It was a about this boy, Nils, who was very cruel to animals and so he was cursed, which leaves him shrunken and able to talk with animals. He is then "adopted" a group of wild geese who become his family. In the end, the curse is lifted and Nils returns to his normal size. What he failed to realize is that animals couldn't understand anymore, including his geese friends... Oh, this is the first time I remembered crying while watching something on TV... I'll never forget when Nils desperately tries to reach out to his geese friends, but to no avail.... he's just a regular human again. And as Nils was stood there alone crying, I too cried.


Number 10 - King Kong: Don't shoot him!! (pretty please??)

King Kong, really?! Yes, it's true.... As I told you before, animals are probably what makes me cry the most and King Kong was still an animal (albeit a very, very big one!!). That scene when he is being shot by all those planes at the top of the Empire State Building and then Ann tries to stop them from killing him, that's the saddest moment and I couldn't hold the tears... I don't know, such a powerful creature dying for love, so sad... S-U readers Gabi and Bornsleepy had the 'honour' of wittnessing this precious moment of me crying at the movie theather :)




Number 9 - Family Ties: Goodbye my friends...

This show obviously needs no introduction as I'm sure everyone from my generation watched it during their teenager years and on countless reruns on TV. What made me cry like a little girl was the final episode: at the very end all the actors (who had been together for at least a good 10 years) come on stage to say goodbye to each other, hugging and crying... and I cried with them.


Number 8 - ALIAS: ______ dies!

Oh, there couldn't be a countdown without ALIAS, no could it? Well, actually it could, if this was the Top 11 Worst TV Shows! There are many sad moments throughout the 5 seasons but the episode were ____ died (I'll withhold her/his identity for those of you still watching - MAJOR spoiler) was not only shocking, but also extremely emotional and very sad. It started with Sydney crying and saying goodbye at the hospital and then comes the scene at the funeral... and the tears start rolling down my face. And then to make it even worse, Sarah McLachlan's song "Dirty Little Secret" starts playing, oh, the drama!!


Note: If you click on the link to hear/watch the song on youtube, it's actually a fan video from the O.C. when Marissa dies. I stopped watching The O.C. around season 2 and always hated her, so couldn't care less!


______________________



No more today. Come back tomorrow for more Kleenex moments :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope you dont forget the performance of Eva Wilma as Altiva in "Indomada"!that episode was an ode to the tears!!!

Anonymous said...

I HOPE YOU INCLUDED PRETTY WOMAN!

Antonio said...

@rodrigo: lol! maybe in a top 11 for soap operas...

@anon: def not in my plans...

Anonymous said...

I´m waiting for that top 11, but now if i suggest Gorillas in the Mist...hã?!
Someday i'll receive a memory message saying that is no more space in hard disk!!

ANDRE said...

I adore Marissa!!!! How could you!!!!

(actually I really liked her, she was a female, anorexic and more elegant version of me!)

Quim Naifas said...

Só mais uma coisa... se o King Kong está em 10º, nem quero imaginar o qto choraste no 1º! ehehe

Antonio said...

@andre: no, she was so dull!! she was a fake problematic kid.

@gabi: lol, nao chorei assim tanto no King Kong, estava a controlar as lagrimas...

sara said...

...ontem tive a ver "brothers & sisters" e chorei... sou tão parva... "Last Dance" também faz chorar MUITO...com "Alias" também derramei lágrimas várias vezes... mas eu não sou um bom exemplo: choro com o rei leão, pocahontas, o panda tau-tau, yada-yuada-yada...

Bornsleepy said...

ohmygawd if King Kong is only number 10 in this tearjerk list..i mean wow..you cried like a river on that one.. I'm really curious to see if Gorillas in the Mist? and Lion King can make the top ten on your list and if so..i dont even want to think the amount of tears you spilled on those ones...

Anonymous said...

i dont know if my own experiences count but, my extreme or how do you say, tearjerking moment was in The Lord of The Rings - The Return of The King (so what you saw in Titanic forget!!) The Snifs were so loud that my wife had to put my arm around her to everyone thinks that was she. And who said that men tears are a shame?