9 January 2009

Wolverine looking good (and the movie too)

A while ago I did a bit of a feature of all that was known about the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie that is coming out next May. Well since then, not a lot more is known about the movie, except for a new trailer thas was released last month.

It's a relatively short trailer, doesn't give too much away in terms of plot, but it's looking rather good in my opinion. To be honest, me being a big fan of the X-Men, it would have to be pretty terrible for me not to like it. However, even stepping out of my fanboyism, still seems like a solid trailer, showing just about enough of the new characters to keep us waiting for more.

My complain goes to some of the character choices (The Blob??) although the one I had the biggest expectations - Gambit - is looking pretty faithful to the comics. Still don't how what he has to do with Wolverine's story, but to be honest I don't really care, I'm just glad he is in the movie. His action scenes from the trailer look awesome.

Anyway, I'd better shut up now and let you watch it:



There are already several shot-by-shot analysis and breakdown of the Wolverine trailer on the web so I'm not gonna do one here. But here are a few bits from the trailer that surprised or excited me:


Deadpool is featured in this trailer, although we can only assume that the shot above is from before he becomes Deadpool and gets his face disfigured. That or the studio decided it would be a shame to have the very visually appealing Ryan Reynolds behind a mask :)



And who might this be? Hint: Look at the ET fingertips...



Can you hear all the fanboys screaming of joy (and complaining he doesn't have the red eyes)? It's the Cajun himself, Gambit! Still a bit disappointed it's not Sawyer from Lost, but judging from the trailer, he's looking pretty good.

And we get a glimpse of Gambit in action - notice his staff and the purple lights!


Even though I had no idea she'd be in the movie, this is without a doubt Emma Frost aka. The White Queen in her diamond form. I've always wanted to see Emma adapted to the big screen, so I guess this is pretty cool, although not as much as it could have been - early rumors for X-Men 3 indicate that Bryan Singer (director of X1 and X2) wanted the White Queen to be played by Sigourney Weaver. Now that would have been awesome! Unfortunately we all know that Brian went on to direct Superman Returns and Brett Rattner ended up doing X3 (which was a bit of a mess... at least compared to the previous 2 films).


This is intriguing, seems like a young Storm, but how will this fit into the main plot - a flashback perhaps? There was a storyline years ago in the comics where Storm was made a child again by a villain called The Nanny and the when she met Gambit. I think this kind of stuff is a bit to out-of-this-world for the film, though.

OK, so this is not in the trailer... but I don't need any reasons for posting a pic of Hugh Jackman shirtless :P

No comments: