22 January 2009

And then a hero comes along...

My first memory of seeing Barack Obama is from when I was in Nairobi, almost 2 years ago, in March 2007. I was there for work and remember being in my hotel room and CNN was on and something caught my attention: there was this guy talking about gay rights in general and how gays and lesbians should be allowed to join the US army and not be discriminated. Obviously I was interested and when Obama finished talking, the CNN lady said something about him running for presidency.

To be perfectly honest I thought there was no way that guy would ever ever make it to President Of the United states of America. Let's see, he looked way too young, was black, was defending gays in the US army and actually seemed like a decent, intelligent man - the complete opposite of the current (at the time) President ! "Nah never going to happen" though the pessimistic old me. But alas, it did! And 2 days ago history was made!

I'm not the biggest fan of politics nor I know that much about it so I really have to just follow my lets call it instincts when it comes to candidates, voting and all that. With Obama, I truly believe he will do whatever he can to improve things (although not expecting any miracles) and that his heart and his head are in the right place.

Yesterday night a ceremony took place in Washington DC - The Neighborhood Ball: An Inauguration Celebration. It was a star-studded event and "my" Mariah was there :) She is a long time Obama supporter and was there to honor the new President. She did a beautiful rendition of her classic "Hero" and dedicated it to Obama, which only seems fitting considering how many obstacles he surely fought to get to where he was yesterday. And it's true, a whole lot of people do look at him as some sort of hero. Enjoy!





Now this is a bit more fun - Mariah, Sting, Stevie Wonder, Beyonce, Shakira, Alicia Keys among others singing "Sign, Sealed, Delivered." a song that was played at nearly every one of Obama's rallies throughout the campaign. How cool it is to watch Obama and his wife Michelle just getting into to the groove and having fun on the dancefloor? They look so cute! Here's the video for you:



3 comments:

Bornsleepy said...

blergh... your videos don't load on Opera Wii browser too :(

Wii rulz anyway!!

Antonio said...

really?? they're just youtube videos, and i remember watching youtube when i had my Wii online. Maybe its because they're embedded in the webpage?

Bornsleepy said...

yup, i guess its the way that it is on the way that they're embedded...

I've tried, to no avail, watch a fancy flash website that I've coded and failed to boot it up due to wrong flash player version...